In the spirit of adventure, I have signed up for the NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) challenge, which dares writers to create a 50,000-word novel between November 1 and November 30.
It really will be an adventure for several reasons:
- This is my first NaNoWriMo.
- I have never tried to write a fictional work beyond short-story length.
- Writing fiction in general is a foreign thing to me.
- I have no plot line (though I do have several potential stories scattered around).
- An understanding of the basics of story writing. I have read a few things on the topic, but why not test the sink-or-swim theory?
- An expanded writing horizon. It may fail miserably or exceed my highest hopes, but I won’t know until I give it a try.